Saturday 27 October 2012

A mixed bag (and why I'm 'in the navy'...)

Recently I have realised I should never have decided, or even considered, that navy was boring. I like navy and navy likes me. Just because it's dark and a fairly unexciting colour, is not reason to discount it!  I have recently seen lots of people looking nice in navy and thought - hmm that looks really good, why did I ever think it was a good idea to (while not banish entirely)  restrict navy?!

To this end (rebel that I am not) I today bought a navy jumper. A bargainous navy jumper at that.

I was in H&M looking for children's wares, and happened to pass this on the way in. It was £7.99 - yes you read right! - and frankly it would have been rude and uncharitable of me to have left it on the rail.  Even more so considering it is 50% cotton, (and 50% acrylic).  It's a nice long-line style, (tunic-like) and I know I will wear lots. Yes it's boring, but (sadly) - it's SO me!

Even better still....(oh shallow me)... they only had a size 'small' which I duly tried on, after many failures of hope over experience in the past - and it fitted perfectly!  Either the sizing was mighty generous (likely) or my half hearted diet is making progress (less likely).  Although, as an aside, and I know Sue from Susie So So is with me here - I eat far less when shopping. It just wastes valuable time. There you go - think of shopping as a work-out and weight loss activity and it's not so bad is it?!

Anyway - here's the jumper:
H & M - £7.99

Next it was back to investment buying.

I can't recall or not if I've mentioned what a big fan I am of The White Company. They completely 'get' what I want from clothes. Sometimes, not fashionable or exciting or 'on trend' - just wearable, good quality muted colours and classic shapes, updating the best sellers each season so you can buy more of what you love in a (hopefully) even better shape or colour.  I love them and could spend oodles in there. The furniture and bed linen are also divine, as are the toiletries.

Today I tried, loved and bought a beige (they call it 'mink') 'stepped hem sweater'. It's a basic relaxed fit, quite square, with nice fitted sleeves, which I think stop it looking too 'undone'.  90% wool and 10% cashmere.  £85.  Silly me, I forgot to use my 10% discount card, so will have to re-order it online and return the full price one. I've only just remembered about the discount card, such was my haste to buy this.



It will last for years I'm sure.

Today I also wore another White Company favourite, a charcoal grey 85% cashmere, with a bit of cotton and elastene I think, tunic from last year, which has cap sleeves and is great for layering. I wore over a black long sleeved Gap 'Body' t shirt (very fine, also great for layering) and Primark black cropped trousers which were about £9 or something back in the summer but are fine for all year round I'd say!  Oh, and finished off with my Topshop Millicent studded boots.



Finished the look with a sparkly black / bronze scarf which I bought in our local town for next to nothing a couple of years ago - either Peacocks or Internationale - or one of those shops which you tend to find in provincial shopping centres....was about £5 or similar and is fab. Just goes to show - investment dressing is all very fine - but never be a slave to a name or price bracket!



I mentioned my toe-nails the other day - and (just for you Avril!!) here is the rather amateur - though definitely an improvement on what they were - result.

Colour is Essie Rock the Croc:


Finally - hence the apt title of today's post 'Mixed Bag' - I must alert you all to this month's Marie Claire magazine which has a great freebie of a L'Occitane mini size hand cream. This really does sell in L'Occitane stores for £8 - so you it's well worth the £3.70 cover price. Also included is a random Dove haircare sample - which I can't vouch for - but the L'Occitane hand cream is brilliant. (I've already bought 3 Marie Claires...and counting!)

10 comments:

  1. Shopping is only a weight loss activity if not followed by four rounds of toast to quell the hunger that follows after. But then again, if you shop for four hours, one piece of toast per hour doesn't seem that bad.

    I've got in to the navy as well this year - I got a little Gap jumper not so long ago. I'm sure there will be a post to follow soon. But well done on your little bargain and anything with a size small is great.

    You're very right on the mantra - never be a slave to name or price bracket. You shop like me girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - no '4 slices of toast' this time - managed to share half of an M&S wrap. Plus a coffee (to myself). Must've been well into negative calories that day :-D

      Look forward to seeing the Gap purchase. x

      Delete
  2. Love basics that are apparently boring in their colour and shape but just so necessary in our wardrobes!! White company are my fav, but I like their sales better! Why do they have to be expensive? Good buy from H and M - you will get lots of wear from that little gem. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so annoyed I forgot to use my discount card (get sent one routinely with the catalogue - can share code if anyone is interested). I will just re-order online using the code and return the full price one! Glad you likey H&M bargain! x

      Delete
  3. The jumper is fab and if you have ever seen or read the book "Parisian Chic" you will know that there is nothing better than a navy v neck, especially when worn with white jeans like Ines xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh - I keep meaning to buy that book - thanks for the reminder! Sounds good - would you recommend it? x

      Delete
  4. Love the navy - so chic….I need to get into the jumper space…I'm a bit reluctant to wear them but love the ones you've shared. Have a good week, Avril x
    PS Fiona from Avenue 57 has started up a mum fashion blogger page on FB if you're on there? The link is https://www.facebook.com/groups/506674796009705/ Should be a good collaboration/discussion/help forum for us all. You're v welcome to join up if you want to and not if you don't! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the fb link Avril - sounds good, would love to join!

      I find jumpers easier to wear 'a-la-tunic' when they are longer. The shorter styles make me look dumpy (dumpier) somehow... xx

      Delete
  5. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that
    automatically tweet my newest twitter updates. I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.
    Also visit my webpage :: electronic cigarette wholesale

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your White Company purchase - great colour. I've just received £100.00 vouchers for Christmas - alas they are from grandparents to buy some White Company cot bedding for my little one - but it is a HUGE temptation lol!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I love hearing your thoughts, and will reply to as many as I can :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...